They Say, I Say 9
1. "We can hardly get through our lives-in fact, it's hard to get through a week-without considering what makes specific actions right and others wrong and debating with ourselves whether that is a difference that must compel the actions we choose (Okay, it's wrong! I get it! But why should I care?)" (Rebecca Goldstein, Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away).
Its hard to get through our lives or even a week without thinking about the effect our actions might have on others and wondering if what we're doing is bad or good when it comes to the people around us (Okay, it's wrong! I get it! But why should I care?).
It's agonizing trying to live through our lives, or even through a short week without wondering if our actions are morally right and if they treat those around us with the respect and affection they deserve; and if our actions do not benefit those around us, should they even be acted out in the first place? Why is it our responsibility to act according to the needs of those around us, why should we be affected by their feelings?
It's difficult to go through our lives or even just one week of them without wondering the effects that our actions have on others. Do our actions affect people in a good way? Or will they be put in a position in which they have to suffer the consequences of our actions? Even if one of our actions is wrong, or immoral, why should we care about the effects of others?
2. For example, Juliet A. Williams says that successful single-sex schools use successful learning strategies that could be beneficial to both genders, there is no need to separate the students, “research shows that successful schools do certain things -- such as creating strong mentoring relationships and keeping class sizes to a manageable level -- that benefit students whether boys and girls learn together or apart.” Keeping the two genders apart is unnecessary. Some single sex schools are successful due to teaching strategies that could be used in coeducational schools just as easily to produce the same result.
In this paragraph, the topic I was speaking on had to do with how the single sex aspect of single-sex schools is not the cause of the schools' success. In my paragraph, I stated a quote from Juliet A. Williams that seemed to use a lot of confusing academic language. To counteract this language, I restated the point she made at the end of my paragraph, stating, "Some single sex schools are successful due to teaching strategies that could be used in coeducational schools just as easily to produce the same result. " This language is more colloquial and easier to understand.
Comments
Post a Comment