They Say I Say 7
1. Although many people agree that drugs such as marijuana should be decriminalized and even legalized in the U.S, some may argue that the legalization of marijuana will make the usage of it more common in society. For example, legalized marijuana has shown to cause higher usage rates in teenagers, "16.21% of Colorado teens and 18.86% of teens in Alaska reported marijuana use in the past year, compared to an average of 12.29% for the United States overall in 2015-2016" (Brittanica). If marijuana is legalized more and more teenagers will use it and go to school high, go to work environments high, etc. While this may be true, rules won't just be thrown out the window if marijuana is legalized. Teenagers and even adults may still be penalized if they are deemed to be putting others in danger or misbehaving. If students go to class high, they may very well still get a detention or suspension for breaking school rules. The same may go for adults, if they go to work environments high they may be penalized and could even lose their job. Look at drinking as an example, if someone is caught drinking at school or at work they may be penalized, however, drinking in safe controlled environments does not cause for an arrest to take place. Others against the legalization of marijuana may say that, "10% of those who use cannabis become addicted" (Wilkinson). While addiction is a large issue that affects many cannabis users, it will still exist in society whether people use marijuana legally or not. Perhaps if marijuana is legalized people will feel more comfortable going to rehabilitation centers if they do become addicted. Perhaps they may feel safer going to rehab if they are sure they can't be arrested for their drug use. Finally, some supporters may argue that using marijuana for medical purposes does not have enough research surrounding it to justify the legalization of marijuana all around. It is crucial to learn more about the drug before legalizing it (McCarthy). This is a valid point, however, if marijuana is legalized it may be taxed. These taxes could be used for research on marijuana to see if it can cure serious illnesses, even cancer.
https://marijuana.procon.org
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6179811/
https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/teen/substance-abuse/Pages/legalizing-marijuana.aspx
2. In my article over coed schooling vs. same sex schooling I represented the nay-sayers fairly well. In each of my paragraphs I stated the ideas of single-sex supporters, following the point by using research or facts from another article to disprove the point. For example, in the second paragraph, I say, 'Single sex supporters claim that males and females have biological learning differences. They say that due to these differences, males and females should be taught differently. For example, Teresa A. Hughes states, “It is a fact that boys and girls learn differently…Physiological and psychological differences between girls and boys require different teaching techniques at different times (11-12).” However, it has been proven by neurological scientists that no traits are inherently ‘male’ or ‘female.’ Rather, there are a mix of these traits in both males and females, called the “gender mosaic” (Butler).' As you can see, I show the point of view of supporters and then disprove the ideas with my own facts. This pattern repeats throughout the article. However, I do feel that I should have been more open minded with my replies to the ideas of single sex supporters. I did not state any benefits about their ideas, rather I just stated their ideas and said they were wrong right away. Perhaps I could have said, while some boys and girls do learn differently, it is a proven fact that boys and girls' brains are not 'wired differently.'
Comments
Post a Comment