They Say I Say 4

 


1.  In the article "The Advantages of Single Sex Education" by Teresa Hughes, she states, "According to Salomone’s studies (as cited in Heise 2004), “'In the current context, attendance in single-sex schools is voluntary, and coeducational options remain, if not predominant'” (p. 1224) and she further urges “'that in the education context, as it relates to gender, separate can be inherently equal'” (p. 1224). “'Because the courts have considered the issue of single- education in four cases and clearly approved of publicly funded single-sex classes in three of them, single-sex education, within stated parameters, is constitutional'” (Caplice, 1994, p. 5). In addition Salomone notes, “'the Supreme Court’s decision in United States v. Virginia demonstrates that this argument does not support the unconstitutionality of single-sex education'” (as cited in Logsdon, 2003, p. 295). Because single-sex education is not unconstitutional, school districts should take advantage of the option to either create single-sex schools or single-sex classes along with coeducation if they conclude that it improves performance of students." Basically, Hughes is trying to say that although many people against single-sex education say that it violates the constitution, these quotes show that it does not. However, in the paragraph written by Hughes of which these quotes are included in, she seems to use very little of her own words. Hughes constantly goes from quote to quote with no explanation between and very little explanation at the end of her quotes. Hughes' introduction of her quotes was well done, she was concise and she was not redundant. However, I would suggest that she explain her quotes better as they were hard to understand as a reader with little knowledge on the subject. Also, I would suggest for her to use more of her own words in the paragraph instead of just stating quote after quote in order to make the article more creative and interesting. 


2. I wrote an essay on same-sex education vs. coeducation. In the essay I introduced and used many quotations including, 'Juliet A. Williams says that successful single-sex schools use successful learning strategies that could be beneficial to both genders, there is no need to separate the students, “research shows that successful schools do certain things -- such as creating strong mentoring relationships and keeping class sizes to a manageable level -- that benefit students whether boys and girls learn together or apart.” Keeping the two genders apart is unnecessary. Some single sex schools are successful due to teaching strategies that could be used in coeducational schools just as easily to produce the same result.' I introduced this quote by showing that it was said by Juliet A. Williams and I used some of my own words at the beginning of the quote to introduce the audience to the idea that I would explain later. At the end of this quote, however, I feel that my explanation was somewhat weak. Instead of explaining the quote, I basically restated it, leading to a redundant sentence. However, I feel that the quote tied well to my argument. I introduced the topic I was arguing on at the beginning of the paragraph, 'another claim of single sex supporters is that single-sex schools lead to more academic achievements for students, however, most of the time these academic achievements are not caused by the single-sex aspect of the schools. Rather, it is usually caused by selective admission rates and educational strategies that are proven to benefit both males and females.' After introducing this, I inserted my quote which proved my point and flowed well. 

Comments